I'm sitting in my living room writing this blog - laptop on the coffee table in front of me, cup of Earl Grey to my right and a cup of noodles to my left as I scramble to figure out how to summarize the last year of my life.
Yes, scramble. This is going to be one of those blogs that gets written off the cuff and thrown up almost as soon as I've finished writing it - because that's been my life so far this week.
The last time I wrote a serious life update was about two years ago, at the end of a chaotic year and tumultuous season of life (Oh, 2016, in case you feel like reading up on what was going on back then). I won't be formatting my update in quite the same way, though. 2018 has been a much slower year, and only became busier in the back half of the year.
What's Happened in 2018
In July, I released a second short story collection called "Overload: Stories for When Your World Flips Upside Down". Talk about stories I needed to write for myself, given other things that have happened since its release.
In August, a good friend unexpectedly passed away.
In October, nephew #6 was born - which is one of those crazy stories of a birth control fail that really deserves a post unto itself, but is not going to get one at this particular moment in time.
In November, my father suffered a second heart attack the week before Thanksgiving (the first having been in the fall of 2014). I'm sure that story also deserves its own post, but I don't know when I'll get around to writing it. Maybe in a few months, when things have settled down and my head is on a little bit straighter than it is right now.
Most of the above events have made it necessary for me to push release dates back a few months into 2019. I'll be talking more about what you can expect to see from me next year... well, early next year.
What I Posted in 2018
Next week I'll be posting a list of the five blogs I wrote this year that received the most views, but I thought I'd include a list of all of my posts from 2018 here so you can take a look through them before I reveal which ones you guys seemed to be most attracted to. I missed a lot of weeks this year, so this list is shorter than you might expect.
- The Wounded Shadow (The Darkwater Saga #3) (Posted 5/15/2018)
- The Excalibur Alternative (Posted 7/26/2018)
- Imprudence (The Custard Protocol #2) (Posted 8/30/2018)
- The Hands We're Given (Aces High, Jokers Wild Vol. 1) (Posted 10/25/2018)
- Zombie Playlist (Posted 11/29/2018)
Dear Netflix, Do You Really Know What I Want to Watch?
- Five of My Favorite Science Fiction Quotes (Posted 11/1/2018)
- Five of My Favorite Writing Quotes (Posted 12/13/2018)
- Sneak Peek: Overload Stories (Posted 5/22/2018)
- My Writer's Toolbox: Thesauruses I Love (Posted 8/23/2018)
- The Unwinding Cable Car (Posted 4/2/2018)
- Slice of Life: That One Good Transit Story (Posted 8/16/2018)
- The Thanksgiving Blog 2018 (Posted 11/22/2018)
I can't say that 2018 has treated me especially well, but I cannot say it has treated me badly either. I can say that there are probably things I forgot to talk about, though.
But what about you? Was 2018 a year to remember, or one you would rather forget? Let me know in the comment section below.